iD14 delivers the audio performance of a large format console in a compact and elegant desktop package. iD14 provides two Audient console mic pres, class-leading Burr Brown converter technology, console style monitor control, JFET D.I and Audient's virtual scroll wheel technology, ScrollControl. With its versatile feature set and intuitive layout, iD14 will become the hub of your studio in no time.
- Audient Console Mic Pres
- The professional sound you deserve
- Mic Pre Technology
- Audient take an insight into why their microphone preamplifier design has become so popular amongst so many professionals and hobbyists alike
- Clean, punchy and musical character
- Flexible topology - design optimised gain range between 0 - 70db gain
- Low noise floor - 30,000 times quieter than the signal level
- Wide bandwidth - preserving your transient detail
- Transformer-less, RF immune input stage for detailed resolution
Evolution of the Audient Mic Pre
Quality begins with the first steps of design Designed by David Dearden (of DDA & Advision Studios) back in 1997 the Audient mic pre is an all discrete high grade op amp design that delivers low noise, low distortion, and high common mode rejection at all gain levels… offering a faithful reproduction of the source with just enough colour to give the signal some character. “Although, surface mount components are not always the same as their traditional equivalents. Sometimes they are even better! We use a mixture of SMT & traditional parts based upon one critieria – which one offers the best performance for a given role."
"However, resistors are not in some areas, especially when it comes to mic amp electronics which require low resistances and high currents to minimize noise. In certain critical areas of a high gain circuit, standard SMT parts were noticeably inferior, exhibiting more noise. In these cases there was little option but to remain with what was known to be good old fashioned metal film resistors with larger bodies. The best choice of components and the most elegant of designs are easily ruined by careless PCB (printed circuit board) layouts. Neat doesn’t necessarily mean optimum.”
The Design Rationale
The quest for musical transparency The microphone preamplifier has historically been the most difficult circuit block to design and also the block where designers have striven to express their individuality. David Dearden has always been on a quest for musical transparency and below he outlines his design. David's Design: “A successful mic pre doesn’t just have to amplify a low level signal up to something which is more useable. It must also be protected against external attack such as static, phantom power and Radio Frequency Interference (RFI). This is where component choice is vital, especially the low noise transistors and even passive elements such as resistors and RFI filters. Finding input transistors suitable for low impedance sources has always been a problem and after extensive evaluation Audient selected a unique transistor originally designed for Vinyl player preamps, which was perfect for the job!
Since then they have continued to innovate this key part of the Audient ‘sound’ and after much sonic evaluation, implemented a new transistor with similar characteristics in a surface mount (SMT) transistor package. An understanding of the circuit operation and current paths is required for best results and I’ve spent over 20 years striving for continuous improvement in circuit design and how products sound. To this day my mic pre design is still being used all over the world - I must’ve done something right! Think like an electron!
Shipping and Returns
- Once your order has been shipped please allow 5-7 days for delivery depending on where you live.
- Delivery is free in South Africa for all orders over R995 and any orders below R995 will incur a flat rate of R95.
- ALL International Deliveries are subject to charge and will depend on the size of your order and location. Please see our Shipping Policy for further details.
- Returns need to be initiated within five days of delivery. For further details please see our Cancellation & Returns Policy.
Product images are for illustration purposes only and, unless stated otherwise, may not include peripheral or ancillary items depicted in the image.
Pro audio, studio, other electronic goods, smalls and accessories will be delivered in original packaging.
In some cases larger items such as guitars and acoustic drums may be delivered in non-original brown packaging.
In the unlikely event we need to ship in non-original packaging we will inform you.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.